Cateia Games
December 19, 2014, 06:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR GAMES, VISIT: www.cateia.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval Battlefields - the beginning of the end?  (Read 2606 times)
Ralph
Pedestrian

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »

It has now been two weeks since I was promised a reply within 48hrs after I couldn't get into 'find open games'. Have you given up on the game? It cant be very profitable as you have driven away so many players with endless crashes. Which is a shame, as basically it is a good game. So here is a suggestion. Fix the problems, tweak the maps to make them a little fairer - maybe add a few maps, even some new countries or pieces. Then relaunch the game with a different name. You have a bunch of loyal users who would happily be beta testers. Anyway, no matter what you do, please tell us what is going on.
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »

You don't have to worry, really! the problems will be solved soon. there were some unexpected delays in the process due to some personal reasons I'm not willing to disclose. but rest assured that we have certainly not given up on the game and that a fix is on it's way.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Aluna7
Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »

In the meantime, any new players who have come on the scene recently are unlikely to stick around. And those of us who have run out of active games and can't get access to any more, will inevitably be checking less and less frequently as time goes by. I'm sorry if personal issues have caused problems and delays (I have plenty of experience of that, and I know how difficult it can be to keep on top of things when your personal life needs all your attention!), but it's a big, exciting world out there, and people will only stick around for so long. This is a cool little game, and like Ralph says, there was a (growing) core of loyal players, but it's quite a struggle to remain loyal as the problems continue to crop up. I've only been around for a few months myself, but in that time there have been various issues, crashes and problems... including an update which messed up my whole casual gaming platform. We'd really like to support this game, so I hope the technical problems get ironed out sooner rather than later.
martin
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »

Welcome back Boris, and well done with resolving the crashes. I agree with Ralph. More maps, and fairer versions of the present ones would be good. Even another nation at some time?

I think fairer positioning of the resources or less gold for the 1st player (in 2 player maps) is better than random starts. That would simply reduce the game to a lottery.

Also on the Vikings - The disadvantage of not having a 'cat' is big, and being too easy to kill doesn't help. Its compounded by the fact that even their horsemen are not as good as English or French. Eg. the 'trained horses' option isn't available to the Vikings.

Another issue some of us have noticed. Some 'top players' NEVER or rarely play any of the others in the 1st 2 pages. Its fairly obvious some players have, in the past, played 2, 3 or more IDs that are in fact owned by themselves. Rather a sad and pointless way to stay on or near the top.

A suggestion that would help - show a list of all current games and their players. So everyone could see just who was playing who.

So, maybe not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning, and the start of glorious times, I hope. And thanks again.
Boris Mikić
Where am I?
Cateia Games
Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »

To show all current games played by other players usually has little practical sense, especially since it happens that a game is abandoned by both sides and simply stays on the server without ever being finished.
We have already planned to alter the attributes for the vikings to increase their strength so that they become equals against the other nations.
Re-balancing of the already existing maps and new maps are also planned .

Sadly I cannot disclose any release dates.

Quote from: Bender
Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.
Quote from: Fry
It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two.
tdellis
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »

Good news on the rebalance.  Several two player games like Mountain Siege, Eye Mountain, etc, could be improved by simply having one set of resources a grid or two closer to player 2.  I'll bet given some thought your regular players could come up with some really good maps if they would be considered and there was a place to post them
martin
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »

On the subject of dead games still on the server, is it possible to delete twoonone_maximus & singularity_maximus from Open Games? They are not 'open' no one can join them. Also the twoonone is very unfair in the way it is set up. They can and will never be used.

About balance and fairness, four ways is fair. There may be a very slight advantage in going first but not much. The resources are fair.

Mountain Siege isn't fair the first player always gets the resources. It is possible to win as 2nd player but not against best play. (unless the first player is Viking! I did some none scoring test games with oolalaa/fedaykin. We both tried  playing first with Viks in MS. Niether of us could win with Viks.)

Most of the small maps, oneonone, crossbattle, central mountain, seem to favour the 1st player quite strongly, even though the resources are even. A starting decrease of 200 gold for the 1st player would probably fix them. Anyone agree?

martin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:53:45 PM by martin » Logged
Boris Mikić
Where am I?
Cateia Games
Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

Thank you for your input. This will help us in making the maps fairer.

Also, I have reviewed the games you mentioned and I agree that they should be deleted. So they have been deleted.

Quote from: Bender
Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.
Quote from: Fry
It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cateia Games