Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: http://twitter.com/cateiagames

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weapon Classes  (Read 21828 times)
Major Diarr
Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »

Quote from: "kspes"
Quote from: "Major Diarr"
In the last version of TNZ2 weapons only fire when the reticule is in the arc, that makes shooting on the move extremely difficult. My idea is to have the closest arc fire even if the reticule is outside that close arc. This is good for weapons that are absolutely fixed or very nearly so. For wide arc weapons it may not be so helpful but helpful none the less.
?
You have to point within the arc to fire, currently. In what I described, simply being near one arc or another would be enough to activate that arc's weapons and the weapon would fire at the angle closest to the point/reticule.  Imagine a weapon would a 1 degree arc, how would you ever fire a weapon with that narrow an area, you simply couldn't, especially on a fast maneuvering vessel, in what I described, close is close enough.
My next idea is simple enough, allow minimum ranges. Let us say there is a ship that has a forward pulse weapon and beam weapon in the same arc and you want only one firing button. Beams are probably better at longer ranges than a pulse, if we can give a minimum range to the beam the system could read that as the maximum range of the overlapping weapon, in this case the pulse weapon. To fire pulses, all you do is bring the reticule closer to the ship when firing. For the defiant this is not an issue because even though its beam overlaps the pulse arcs it really is just a secondary weapon so its arc can bemade not to overlap.

What then if you have two overlapping beams? Actually, this idea works into the Defiant, when there is no difference inranges just have the weapon with higher damage fire.
hmm, sounds good. but let's consider having some more control? eg if two primary weapons overlap, left button does phasers, and shift+left button fires pulse weapons. maby shift isn't such a good combination, but it's a start for the idea.

defiant has a beam? i thought it only has pulse weapons and torpedoes :?

In some cases this may better, it may very well be the better way in all cases. Shift is a good key too since it's very easy to keep it down while pressing other buttons in the WASD configuration. I'm also a fan of Ctrl and Alt for hold function changing keys.

Yeah, it has a dorsal beam and bow beam, as well as a single rear torpedo tube and possibly four quantum torpedo tubes and two photon torpedo tubes. That torpedoes configuration is iffy, it was shown to fire photon torpedoes out the front at least once but I would feel better with it carrying quantum and photon torpedoes with an emergency load of photon torpedoes that start firing once you run out of quantum torpedoes. Four torpedo tubes out the front really wouldn't change anything, six is weird. I would make those phaser beam banks really weak, they should really be there only for if the Defiant faces something even more maneuverable than it's self and therefore weaker.
I also figured out why the Galaxy Class has so many phaser arrays even though it doesn't need them since its main arrays cover just about everything. But that has to wait.

I've added some stats for the D'Deridex, it's really just based on guessing but I think it look right.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p119

I think the Galaxy Class should probably have half the shields of the D'Deridex. I'll check that against what I know of the D'Deridex's weapon strength against the Galaxy.

As for the Galaxy Class' weapons, remember the whole thing over the omnidirectional main phaser array and having all the arrays always fire at once. I figured it out, all those smaller arrays are really meant only for when the ship is seperated because the main array on the small saucer, the cobra head, can only face out to the sides, up, and forward, with a little downward action. So all those other, small, phaser arrays are for filling in the gaps. But when the big arrays are attached to the combat hull, you only need a few of those smaller arrays to fill some small blind spots the main array can't reach causes by the nacelles. So, in game, the main array should fire in all directions but for a little flavor, the exceptions could be that the nacelles cause firing arc shadows that require the pylons phaser arrays.

As for additional secondary weapons; the Breen have their power disruption weapon and the Romulans have been said to have phasers, photon torpedoes, and plasma torpedoes as their weapons on different occasions in the shows.
Breen Energy Dissipater - Losing all power permanently would be too powerful but perhaps a weapon that temporarily shuts your ship off when hit, have it so the disable function isn't accumulative, and that it knocks the same ship out for a shorter time the more times it hits.
Romulan Plasma Torpedo - To fire the plasma torpedo you hold down the fire key, it builds up energy and when you let go it fires. That way you can fire it rapidly or you can build up a huge shot that takes all of your weapons energy. That would make it very unique among the weapons of the game.
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »

You have to point within the arc to fire, currently. In what I described, simply being near one arc or another would be enough to activate that arc's weapons and the weapon would fire at the angle closest to the point/reticule.  Imagine a weapon would a 1 degree arc, how would you ever fire a weapon with that narrow an area, you simply couldn't, especially on a fast maneuvering vessel, in what I described, close is close enough.

hmm, I get it, sounds good. I'll see what I can do.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
DRL
Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »

Mmmh, I`ve been thinking about the idea of the game of having it`s "own" weapons, as many Star Trek fangames do :arrow: ST games have their "own" weapons.
*edit*
actually, even these weapons have to respect arcs, so there should be no trouble on that (exept for mines, which actually they need no arc, as they are usually static)
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »

indeed. God I hope I'll finally find the time to make this game :(

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: