Cateia Games
August 30, 2014, 11:15:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: http://twitter.com/cateiagames

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Source Code  (Read 12082 times)
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

I know you are a GNU/Linux supporters and users and therefore you can't think badly about Open Source.
I know it's a lame shot as this game isn't so old, only 3 years old but it doesn't have a GNU/Linux client and I understand that you will not going to make one as you are busy making other games and the technology doesn't "afford" it.

I think that if you will release the source code then the community will make a GNU/Linux client.
I know what think , the technology doesn't support GNU/Linux but that's not so true...
I remember a few years ago there was a MMORPG that was developed using DirectX and his source code and art was for sale as the company gone bankrupt, the GNU/Linux community wanted to buy the source code and art even though it was hard to port to OpenGL and GNU/Linux, we almost made it but then some other company bought it.
That means that it is possible to port a game that was made using the "wrong" technology.

I want to suggest you to release the source code so the community can make a port.
If you are worried about the sales then you can (but I don't recommend it) to leave the art property, so people will still have to buy the game to play it, but will have a Native GNU/Linux client.

What do you think ?
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »

dude... the game is written in Visual Basic 6.0 and a portion in C++/OpenGL. believe me, it is MUCH easier to just play in windows or boot in vmware.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »

Quote from: "kspes"
dude... the game is written in Visual Basic 6.0 and a portion in C++/OpenGL. believe me, it is MUCH easier to just play in windows or boot in vmware.

I haven't checked, does it run perfectly with Wine ?
But still it misses the point.
Many GNU/Linux users play WoW in Wine but they hate it, they even made a petition for a GNU/Linux client which 15000 people already sign.
I'm sure however that Blizzard don't give a sh*t about us, but still that's the best we can do.

Many GNU/Linux users won't play the game EVEN if it somehow runs with Wine because of ideological reasons.
I mean, you got NOTHING to lose if you release the source code for this game as GNU/Linux users won't buy it without a Native GNU/Linux client.

Off course  it's your game and I can only suggest.
I won't be terrible sad if you won't release the source code because I see that now you on the right way, making GNU/Linux client for your new games, so you already in our list of friendly companies Wink).
Ivan B.
Administrator
Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

Quote from: "MaximB"

I mean, you got NOTHING to lose if you release the source code for this game...

We can lose our pride!

Ivan
Cateia Games

Ivan
Cateia Games
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »

Quote from: "ivan"

I mean, you got NOTHING to lose if you release the source code for this game...

We can lose our pride!

Ivan
Cateia Games

Pride ? I don't  follow..how is that ?
I mean ID software haven't lost it's pride by releasing their engines once a newer engine is done.
3D realms haven't lost it's pride by releasing the BUILD engine.
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »

Pride ? I don't  follow..how is that ?
I mean ID software haven't lost it's pride by releasing their engines once a newer engine is done.
3D realms haven't lost it's pride by releasing the BUILD engine.

because the code is crap. there, I said it :)
I'm not a perfectionist and view all our previous work as crap, it's just that KODA's source is a mess.

I have absolutely no objections to releasing the game's source after the sale period is over, and we'll probably do that in a few years when Wus and LoCV stop selling.

and as for strategy games for linux, our game, World under Siege, will have linux client.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

Well if there is ANY chance that by releasing the source code for "The Kings of the Dark Age" their will be a community GNU/Linux port, then please do so.
Pride or not pride, it was your first game and we can understand it.
If it will do only good then why not ?
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

Fine, get me a team of programmers that are genuinely interested in porting the game to linux (by that, I mean rewriting most of the game in C++ or maybe python) and we'll release the source code and all audio/video content under the GPL.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Ivan Vučica
Programmer
Administrator
Manager

Gravatar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »

Indeed, MaximB, please be aware that it's not just changing the graphics backend. No matter how dissimilar they are, DX and GL are still ... similar Tongue )

But porting a Visual Basic program to GNU/Linux?

The greatest issue there is really that there is no version of Visual Basic for GNU/Linux. So all you could do is start a new project, and refer to the KODA source for guidance how to implement identical behaviour. It's not only easier that way, it's practically only possible thing to do, especially since the authors themselves claim the code is messy. That means you wouldn't even be able to duplicate one-by-one component and get something working earlier.

By the way, if you're looking for a good GNU/Linux game while waiting for WuS, Wesnoth might serve your turn-based-strategy  needs :)

Ivan Vučica
get leet eat wheat
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »

Quote from: "kspes"
Fine, get me a team of programmers that are genuinely interested in porting the game to linux (by that, I mean rewriting most of the game in C++ or maybe python) and we'll release the source code and all audio/video content under the GPL.

Thank you so much.
I will try my best to gather a team that can port this game !
Keep the good work guys !
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »

okay, but remember, the team of developers must be seriously committed to porting the game before we can release the source code. We don't want to release tho source and have the team fall apart in a few weeks.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
qubodup
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:25:42 AM »

Hi,

I threw together a wiki page, which is supposed to document the process of team-finding. I also wrote about the game to the forums of all HOMM/AOW-like projects on SourceForge.net I could find. I hope your game will find someone who wants to port it.

If you released the code, it would be easier for developers to decide weather they're up to working with it. So I ask you to at least release a portion (I don't ask you to license it under the GPL, just show what to expect)

I am not a programmer, at least not an experienced one, so I want to know some things, which are probably relevant for experienced ones: How bad is the code? Does it use naive algorithms? Is it not documented at all? Is it documented in a mix of English and Croatian and Chinese and Swedish Smiley
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »

Quote from: "qubodup"
How bad is the code? Does it use naive algorithms? Is it not documented at all? Is it documented in a mix of English and Croatian and Chinese and Swedish ;)?  Did you use terrible variable and function names? - What makes your code so bad? Besides that it's VB6.

all of the above :/

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Anonymous
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »

Hi,

I would be interested in porting it.
But what I don't understand is why you would only release the code+art under the GPL after a porting team has been found.
Once a porting team is ready, will you ask them to port while keeping the code secret and only release it once the port is ready?

How exactly will you decide if the team is committed enough? Do you the port to be done in a certain amount of time?
Personally, I won't be able to work full-time on the port and I don't think others would be able too. (unless they're paid of course)
So I can't commit to finishing it during a set time.

If you release it now, it will certainly be ported one day or another. So why this strange condition?

And once the game is released under the GPL, it will be free (as in gratis here) as I understand it, no?
KIAaze
Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

Oops, thought I was already logged in.
That message was from me. ;)

so that's why there was a captcha... ^^'
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cateia Games