Cateia Games
September 02, 2014, 07:49:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: JOIN US ON FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/cateiagames

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Source Code  (Read 12121 times)
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »

Because the game is still in sale, releasing the source is tricky, so we would only release the game's source+art under GPL if we can find a team willing to port the game. So, yes, until the game has been ported enough you can play, the source will be released under a restricted license.

as for payment, we have no direct profit or interest in porting this game to Linux, so, as I've stated multiple times in this thread, if someone would like to port the game and be commited enough to the project, we would be willing to release the source.

Releasing the source 'just like that', hoping someone might port the game would not be a good idea :)

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
KIAaze
Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 03:35:52 PM »

I suppose the restricted license won't allow showing the code to non-team members.
This might make working together complicated. :/

Would you provide a closed/private version control system so that members can work on it in a way similar to sourceforge/Gna projects but without public access to the source code?

What would the restricted license be?
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »

We're very flexible. if a team assembles, I'm sure we can come up to a solution that would satisfy all of us.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »

We already got 2 programmers and hopefully more will come.
You said that basically we will need to build the code from scratch, so could we add more features to the game that weren't there before to make the game better ?
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »

Quote from: "MaximB"
You said that basically we will need to build the code from scratch, so could we add more features to the game that weren't there before to make the game better ?

be my guest :)

The battle program is a seperate program and is written in C++/OpenGL. it should be easy to port it,, mostly compiling diferences. the bigest problem is the campaing portion, which is, as said, written in VB6 and is very messy. So that would have to be rewritten.
I suggest using python to speed up development.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 01:03:26 AM »

I'm curious, why do you want to wait to release the source code until after a team has been assembled?  It's not that I'm criticizing your decision I was just wondering why.
qubodup
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »

FYI: The wiki page is better structured now and reflects somewhat interesting info now. We have a forum hosted by FreeGameDev now too.

I suppose that besides searching more developers, we will start discussing which libraries to use and how to communicate. One question that will need solving is if we need the code to be publically displayed.

So let me ask you this: Is it an option for you at all, to release the source code under a license, which allows only looking at it, so that outsiders (people who are not in the porting team) can take a look at it? It would help make the project "open" and would make it easier for us to use open-source code hosting facilities like sf.net and Gna! Since we wouldn't have to hide your code. otherwise we would have to set up a private repository I suppose.
MaximB
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:44 AM »

...Moreover, we have gather a team that in time hopefully will grow larger.
Now it's the time to discuss the source code, kspes what do you propose ?
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »

we'll continue this conversation in private. I'll send you an email.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Administrator
The Father

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »

Quote from: "Arnos"
I'm curious, why do you want to wait to release the source code until after a team has been assembled?  It's not that I'm criticizing your decision I was just wondering why.

as I've stated many times, we are concerned about releasing the game's source just like that.

Krešimir Špes
Lead Programmer
Ivan Vučica
Programmer
Administrator
Manager

Gravatar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »

Guys, realize this.

The game is still in commercial sale.
The game is still covered by a contract with ZUXXEZ.

Cateia has to be very careful how it releases the code, if not because of itself, then because of ZUXXEZ.

I'd recommend you guys to look up to games such as FreeCol and FreeCiv which did not have the source code of the original game nor the support of original developers, yet managed to reproduce them pretty well. Now, remember that even if you get only portions of the source code, you'll still have support from the original developers for the remaining portions. That's more than FreeCol and FreeCiv had.

(*) This post does not necessarily constitute an official view of Cateia Games.

Ivan Vučica
get leet eat wheat
qubodup
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »

ivucica, is there any chance that we can take a look at the contract between you and ZUXXEZ? Or can you explain what about the contract makes releasing the source impossible?
Ivan B.
Administrator
Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »

Hi,

of course you can not take a look at our contract! :) were you serious?
anyway, Cateia will decide about the source code and how (if) it will release. We don't see any real problems at the moment, but I just have to ask you to slow down a bit. KODA is our last priority right now, and we are happy that you guys are so interested in porting the game (or its parts) on Linux, but please realize that we need some time... we have LOCV and WuS: EF currently going on. These two are our prior concern.

We will carefully read the contract once again, talk about this opportunity and then we will let you know about the license etc. The point is - it will take some time (not months, but days - maybe weeks)

Ivan
Cateia Games

Ivan
Cateia Games
Ivan Vučica
Programmer
Administrator
Manager

Gravatar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

Quote from: "qubodup"
ivucica, is there any chance that we can take a look at the contract between you and ZUXXEZ? Or can you explain what about the contract makes releasing the source impossible?
...aaand, besides from what Ivan said, I'm new around Cateia (measured in weeks) and I wasn't around here when KODA was done Smiley

My comment was only directed towards you guys further understanding why Cateia can't just release everything. It's not a personal nor OSS software -- bigger things are at stake than just someone's personal pride :)

Ivan Vučica
get leet eat wheat
qubodup
Poet

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

Hey there,
Quote from: "ivan"
of course you can not take a look at our contract! :) were you serious?
anyway, Cateia will decide about the source code and how (if) it will release. We don't see any real problems at the moment, but I just have to ask you to slow down a bit. KODA is our last priority right now, and we are happy that you guys are so interested in porting the game (or its parts) on Linux, but please realize that we need some time...
I was actually serious. Please excuse me, I have absolutely no concept of what the etiquette is, when signing a contract. I can't think of a reason why contracts shouldn't be shown to others.. This might be, because I've never seen a company-company contract? -_-

Anyways, I only realized after posting the previous message, that what you/kspes wanted from us currently, is a proof that we actually want to invest time into the project and that we have the ability to achieve something. I wasn't able to read this the first time I saw the letter (too much ambition in the brain I guess) but now it's clear and that's fine.

The current idea is to use the FIFE engine, to allow rendering maps and walking around on them. Nothing set in stone of course.

Quote from: "ivan"
We will carefully read the contract once again, talk about this opportunity and then we will let you know about the license etc. The point is - it will take some time (not months, but days - maybe weeks)
Well thanks, that's all we can ask you to do =)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cateia Games